The Natural History Museum of Venice is housed in the Fondaco dei Turchi. It dates from 1923 and contains fossils, dinosaurs and has a dedicated section devoted to whales.
This 13th century Venetian Byzantine building was originally built as a palazzo for the Pesaro family. In 1621, it became a fondaco, or warehouse for Turkish merchants to enable them to live and to carry out business, closing in 1838. Following a refurbishment, it reopened as a museum in 1865.