Venice by District
- Dorsoduro One stop on the water bus across the Grand Canal from St. Mark’s Square. Home to the much photographed Salute Church and to several of Venice’s most visited museums.
- San Marco Home to the Venetian highlights of the Doge’s Palace, St. Mark’s Basilica and Campanile in St. Mark’s Square.
- San Polo Home to the Rialto Market and an easy walk via the Rialto Bridge to St. Mark’s Square.
- Santa Croce While primarily residential, this area is home to the bus terminus at Piazzale Roma and is close to the train station, so is convenient for getting to and from Venice. Plenty to see and do here though.
- Cannaregio Large, relatively spacious and residential area with quiet canals and streets. Strada Nuova is the long street that cuts through the area down to the Rialto bridge and has local markets, cafes and shops along the way.
- Castello Starts at the edge of St. Mark’s Square and extends to quieter, more residential areas around the Arsenale shipyards and Biennale Gardens.