The Church of San Nicolò da Tolentini sums up what makes Venice so amazing. While close to Piazzale Roma and the train station so not slung out in the further reaches of Venice, it is little visited. It has a monumental classical façade and inside a beautiful Baroque interior. The high altar was built by Baldassare Longhena in the 1660s who was responsible for the famous Salute Church.
There are two churches in the Chorus Scheme of Venetian Churches.
Church of San Giacomo dall Orio
Dates from the 9th century and is one of the oldest churches in Venice. Whilst looking unassuming from the outside, it has a warm, inviting interior. The bell tower, or campanile, dates from 1225, this version replacing an earlier, unsafe, version.
Church of San Stae
Located on the Grand Canal by the vaporetto stop of the same name. The original church dating from the 12th century and demolished in 1678 was actually built side on to the Grand Canal. When the current one was built, they changed the orientation such that the magnificent Baroque façade faced the Grand Canal. The interior is wonderfully light filled and has some interesting art.
Below is a photo gallery selection of the churches in this district.